Knysna ActivitiesKnysna nestles on the banks of a beautiful lagoon in the heart of the Garden Route of South Africa. It is surrounded by a natural paradise of lush indigenous forests, tranquil lakes and golden beaches, making it a real natural wonderland.
Things you can do include:
- Golfing in the Garden Route. The Garden Route is fast becoming the golfing Mecca of South Africa with 14 new golf courses in the planning to final development stages. Big name designers like Ernie Els and Jack Nicklaus feature prominently in the design of these new golf courses.
- The Knysna Heads - go for a walk along the Heads and see the panoramic views of the town and lagoon.
- A ferry ride across the Lagoon is a great way to see the Knysna Heads and visit the Featherbed Nature Reserve.
- Beaches - There is no beach in Knysna itself, but the coast surrounding Knysna has some really beautiful places to visit for the day. Visit Brenton-on-Sea, Buffalo Bay, Bollard Bay on Leisure Isle, and the beach and estuary at Noetzie.
- Whale and Dolphin Watching - The Knysna coastline is home to one of the highest diversity of marine mammals in the world - including whales and dolphins.
- Abseiling - Knysna has awesome scenery and what better way to experience it then abseiling the cliffs at the Heads.
- Diving - Diving along the Knysna coastline is a great experience. Contact a local dive shop for information before going diving.
- Cycling and Mountain Biking - Knysna offers cyclists some great mountain bike trails.
- Sailing - With over 18 square kilometres of lagoon, and a tidal system of over 1.7 metres (five feet) Knysna draws sailors from far and wide who enjoy swapping stories at the third oldest yacht club in South Africa, with its most hospitable 'bar'.
- Monkeyland is unique as a primate sanctuary. It is home to many varied species of monkey from several continents which were bred in captivity prior to their release at Monkeyland.
- Elephant Park - The experience is somewhat of a closer kind than at Kruger or Addo – visitors are allowed to touch and feed the elephants, Harry, Sally and Duma.
- Horse Riding - Knysna offers breathtaking trails. There are a number of riding schools in the area catering for both the novice and experienced riders. Each school offers its own unique horse riding trail. Choose from forest, coastal, fynbos and mountain trails.